Pragmatic Prices

9 July 2014 Eldwick, Bingley, West Yorkshire BD16, UK

I am a huge believer in being honest and presenting yourself as you really are, rather than showcasing a false personality. I like the phrase "I'm not negative, I'm just realistic" because for me, it's more than true. Sometimes I just can't help but be honest, say things as they are and see the rational side to a situation. I'm not the type of blogger than has thousands to spend on hauls and styles that I can wear each and every day. I see nothing wrong with recycling what you've got and experimenting with what's there rather than becoming distressed by trying to reach the unrealistic goals that are sometimes set in society. I love high fashion, I adore expensive things and I believe I have aspects of my personality that are identical to Holly Golightly in my obsession with how 'the other half' live. But I also love a bargain (real Yorkshire talk), and I am the type of person that looks at price tags; unfortunately I don't have the privilege of being able to ignore how many zeros I see on a label. 
That's the inspiration or motivation behind today's post and outfit. I've recently learnt that charity shops are like little treasure chests, along with stores like TK Maxx and even supermarkets. Yes, that particular way of shopping may not be as glorified as spending £60.00 on a t-shirt, but if you look good and feel good, I don't see it causing any harm. Some people may see shopping on a budget as a downfall or a disadvantage, but I see it as an open window into a whole other world of unique and one-off pieces to add to a slowly growing collection.
Mini-rant over. Today I'm wearing an oversized check shirt that is super cosy as it's made of cotton and I actually found in a sale. Most people like to wear check shirts around their waist, which is a trend I like, but when wearing them myself, I like to actually wear them as an open or closed shirt. They're also great in the summer as the oversized style keeps you cool all day without having to strip off. I chose to leave the top few buttons open which creates much more of a relaxed look, whereas when all the buttons are fasted, the shirt takes a straighter shape and looks a little more formal.
Shirt - George at Asda 
Leggings - made for me 
Boots - Brantano 
Bag - gift

42 comments

  1. I don't have (and have never had) much money but most of the money I do have seems to go on clothes. I shop in George, Newlook, River Island, ASOS and sometimes Primark so I don't ever buy designer and the things I do buy in the more expensive stores I use my student discount, look for sales items and occasionaly splurge on full price things but I agree that you can can great stuff in cheaper shops and that fact that you make some of your clothes is so cool! If I could make myself dresses I totally would!

    Haaappy Summer!
    Hailes<3
    To visit my blog - Hailes Hearts Fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so beautiful.:)
    Your shirt is top

    http://www.anetabjelakova.blogspot.sk/
    <3 thank your for your comment
    From Slovakia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the outfit! You are so pretty :)
    xx
    Mia


    http://ssenescence.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i completely agree - I'm always in Primark and snooping the sales! x
    www.article21.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely plaid shirt Miss!
    XO
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Loving the plaid!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look fab great top.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog and I enjoyed it! I like the outfit combination, seems effortless. Thanks for looking at my blog! I also just followed you on bloglovin, if you could do the same!
    http://simplyeasierliving.blogspot.com/
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool look! Thanks for stopping by!
    effortlesslady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that casual outfit. Amazing blouse. You are very pretty girl.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this outfit, you look so pretty! I really need a shirt like that :) Thank you so much for dropping by again on my blog!

    Camille xo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm soo in love with this outfit! You look great and those shoes are aaahh-mazzinn!! <3

    New Post - xoxo Chaicy - Style..A Pastiche!
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look amazing! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with you, sometimes you see bloggers with new hauls every week and I'm thinking "how on Earth can they afford all that?!" haha, I guess it's just one of those things. Love that this outfit cost you next to nothing, you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the oversized shirt on you, and those long legs! :)

    http://sintire.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the shirt and shoes xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a really pretty smile :) New follower!

    http://klasssylife.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. love your shoes
    http://leavepillow.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your whole outfit! xx +new follower :)

    Love, Sara Wallflower
    http://sarawallflower.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your blog! New follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fab outfit <3
    you looking pretty
    Arbbeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very well said, Anika. I appreciate and value honesty, and thank you for yours! There are many wonders to thrifting, besides the obvious lower price point. I wish I had time to do it more often! You never know what your going to find, possibly a lovely treasure. I love to try to imagine the story behind a piece as well; who had it before me, what were they like, what was their life like? Your outfit here is really cute - I think it would be so lovely for fall, too!

    Sammi@http://beautifuldreamerami.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're so right! Sometimes you can look even better for less or just by looking in other shops than spending a stupid amount especially if you haven't got it. It's hard to keep up, but your blog is AMAZING, don't give up!!!!

    I'm a new blogger!'

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'M YOUR 100TH FOLLOWER! CONGRATS! :)
    Lovely outfit xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! I think mixing up outfits is way more fun!

    And you look lovely :)

    astyleshake.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love a good bargain! Although I normally find mine in Primark as I can never find any good pieces in charity shops!
    Daniella x

    http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. you look stunning! cool outfit, pretty photos!
    Emma xx
    http://iemmafashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. <333 you have amazing style
    http://www.karolinagespucci.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this look, you look fab! And you're totally right about it not mattering whether you have a few pounds or a few hundred pounds to spend. Fashion is about personal style as well as trends so if you're comfortable and happy with your outfit I don't think it matters that you aren't wearing high end labels. That's my take on it anyway, although that might be the Yorkshire girl in me coming out too!

    Em xx

    Pickles & Pinafores // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look amazing! I love the shirt :)
    Thank you for your comment! :)

    http://free-colors.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look so cute honey!

    http://labloguerapelirroja.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. nice plaid shirt! love the casual look!
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. i love your shirt. it looks so comfy and cool.
    xx

    dornroeeschen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. great outfit!
    thanks for comment on my blog! :)
    xx

    Flor.
    Fashions Streets Blog

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne