Goodbye Teenage Years! Turning 20.

5 May 2016 Eldwick, Bingley, West Yorkshire

So it's official. I'm 20 years old today and I'm excited to grow up a little bit more, but sad to say goodbye to being a teenager. I feel like you get away with a lot more, but being 20 puts adult life into focus as it means I'll no longer get the "awwww still a baby" response... I hope. When I turned 19, I mentioned my life is very different to the way I would thought it would go, but this is a good thing. There are loads of things I wanted to do before I turn twenty and luckily, I’ve managed to accomplish a few of them.
I never went to university, but from being young I knew I wanted to do something creative and something linked with fashion. I went through the full spectrum of wanted to design, and then realised I have not inherited any of the skills my mum has and can’t even cut in a straight line. I also wanted to be an editor, but slowly learned that the non-stop, quick-paced lifestyle isn’t the one for a laid-back Yorkshire lass like me. That’s when Anika May came about, and I’m so glad I decided to create this little corner of the internet for me to ramble on about everything and anything. Plus, blogging has provided a whole load of opportunities for me, especially during this last year.
I wanted to make some new friends before I start acting like a real adult, not that I didn’t have friends before, we just weren’t close. But last year, I went on a random trip with a group of amazing people and now every single of them are humans I would consider a really close friend. It’s great to have people to actually talk to and who appreciate friendship! I’m also a lot closer to my little sister, which is unexpected as we are polar opposites. My sister and I can fight over absolutely anything; we once argued over a pencil that I thought was red and she believed was “a deep blood-like orange” (it was totally red). But now we have a pretty close relationship and she takes some of my outfit photos for me, meaning I can shoot on location.
Before I turned 20, I wanted to be sure blogging is the career for me. I’m happy to say it is, and it’s a hobby and I completely adore. Whenever I’m bored, I turn to blogging. And that could be stalking other blogs and building my ever-growing blogroll or creating a new draft for Anika May. While I was 19, I visited the Next Blogger Network Event in London which was total dream come true. Not only did I meet Danielle Peazer, Jen Stanbrook, Samantha Maria and Rosie Fortescue – bloggers I have admired for years, but I also learned a lot about the industry and won a runner-up award!
During this last year, I went to BBC Radio 1Xtra Live (with my new group of friends) and this was such a ridiculously amazing night, I’ll never forget it. Similarly, I got to visit Oslo with two amazing ladies I’ve known for quite a while and we were able to explore a city on my bucket list and take a lot of photos! Oslo is one of the most exquisite cities I’ve been to, the people and the atmosphere is so relaxed and it’s a really blissful environment to be in – I would happily move there one day.
My nineteenth year of life has been life-changing, I’ve had a full-time office job (which I managed to escape), I went through a period of wearing acrylic nails (never again), cleared my skin of acne (thank goodness) and saved enough money to start learning to drive (finally)! There’s so much more I want to experience, and I can’t wait to get started on building Anika May as well as the two charities I work for and continue to develop: Clothing Solutions and Beaneezy – make sure to check them out and give the Facebook pages a like if you can. Neither are government funded and benefit an enormous amount of disabled people in the UK.


Here’s to being an adult! 

52 comments

  1. funny moments with your friends
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!
    I'm turning 20 in a few months, but I still feel as though nothing has changed since the age of 16. Hope you have a wonderful day! x Alona

    gentleconfusion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Have fun and enjoy every moment of your life! I remember turning 20 like it was yesterday (I am 35 haha) so make sure you smile, laugh and enjoy every little moment! :)

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dear:)
    Happy Bday:)
    Sooo Lovely Post:)
    Kisses Open Kloset
    New Post:http://openklosetfashion.blogspot.pt/2016/05/espaco-espelho-d-agua.html#comments
    Instagram:@openklosetfashion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Hope this year is amazing for you (and keep on blogging, your great at it!)

    wrapyourlipsaroundthis.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Anika! 20 is a big and very exciting one!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy happy birthday!! Turning 20 is a huge milestone! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Happy 20th Birthday gorgeous! 20s are THE ABSOLUTE BEST! Congrats on all you've achieved so far, the best is yet to come! xoxo

    Love,
    Whit

    http://www.whitneyswonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday!! Twenty year is the best!!

    http://violettedaily.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I remember when I turned 20, I felt a bit anxious but excited at the same time :)
    I wish you all the best in the future!

    http://thewonderfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday and stay awesome!

    x, Kat of Nested Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! So happy you are blogging and love it. Wishing you all the best! Xo, Ellese

    Rock.Paper.Glam.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday then! Seems like you had a very eventful year, I hope the next one will have as many great opportunities for you.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! I remember turning 20 (I'm 29 lol) and I must say your early 20s are the best thing every - much better than being a teen! I wish all the best <3

    Stacey | www.thebambieyes.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy brithday! Cheers to a new decade!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Bday gorgeous! Xx


    www.thefashionfolks.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday lovely!! :) I wish you only the best & I hope you'll get to make more amazing memories with your friends, grow your blog and just be happy x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday girl! I wish you the best and hope you will enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy 20th birthday to you, Anika :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday! It's so great that you know you want to do blogging as a career, and it's got you so many amazing opportunities! Best of luck! :)

    alicered.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday, beautiful! I will assure you that you will stay get the "aw, you're still a baby" response, until you're about 24, haha! You've accomplished a lot with your blog this past year and you should feel very proud of that because really, the sky is the limit! I wish you many more years of joy, peace, health and plenty of wealth ;) Cheers!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday! I hope you accomplish everything you want and more this year.

    Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday! Enjoy every moment because it goes by super quick - hard to believe myself that it was two years ago I turned 20! It looks like you've had a lot of fun over the past year though :)

    Lindsey Elyse | lindseyginge

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday, beautiful! Your 20s are such a special time. I just turned 30 and am so excited for this season, too. Enjoy it babe!

    xx Leah / www.eatpraywearlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday! Sounds like you've already accomplished A Ton! Keep going with all of those awesome goals!

    She Likes to Shop

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday! Welcome to the twenties! It's a fun age to be =o)

    http://dreamofadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday Beautiful, I wish you the best :) x
    www.ambiinwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. FIRST AND FOREMOST. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Congrats on surviving 20 years of life's hardship and coming out relatively unscathed with beautiful friends surrounding you. Here's to being an adult and may you live a beautiful 20 more years <3

    xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy birthday! I only wish I had been as together as you seem to be back when I turned 20! I wish you all the best for this exciting new chapter of your life. x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  30. First of all, happy birthday! And looks like you had quite the year and I wish only success and happiness in your future. I wish I'm 20 again, alas, I am close to 40 than 20. LOL!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy birthday lovely! I'm wishing you all the best! It sounds like you've had such a successful and eventful year

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy birthday dear
    New post
    http://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy 20th Birthday, take it from me - your 20s are way way better than you teens :)

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete
  34. Super cute post! :)

    XX,

    Photography & Fashion Blog

    www.CHRISTINAKEY.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. happy birthday!! i hope you had an amazing day!!! :)

    http://www.carolinapinglo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy birthday! I hope you had a great birthday :)

    http://claresloves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a wonderful time!

    xo
    www.carinavardie.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. it sounds like you're doing great and you're quite a bit younger than me so you've got plenty of time haha! happy birthday :)

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ah, how exiting! I hope you plan on doing a ridiculous amount of celebrating this month! Happy, happy, HAPPY 20th birthday! :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such an interesting post and beautiful pictures!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy belated birthday love! Such a lovely well-written reflective post!
    Here's to hoping your twenthieth year brings you more opportunities, lots of laughter and lots of love <3
    Tenz
    www.shesbaouthatlife.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy 20! I'm also turning 20 this September, and I'm trying to make best out of my 19 for the rest of the months. Your story really motivated me to work better for my better 19 & upcoming 20! Thanks for sharing this, You're amazing!!
    xx

    Kayleeć…£JK's Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  43. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You're in for a treat, your 20s are so much fun! Just remember to enjoy every second because they fly by!

    http://www.thatnewdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great post! Love the images as well. Hope you have an awesome new week.

    Style For Mankind
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  45. 20's are all about fun! Enjoy :)

    http://thelondonthing.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  46. They were wonderful to look at, it's nice to see someone very happy, hope you had a wonderful birthday things will start to change now in these next couple of years, I have definitely matured since I turned 20 nearly 3 years ago.

    Meme xx

    New Post:
    Cat Hampurr Subscription Box April
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  47. Happy Birthday and trust me 20 is still a baby age! enjoy.
    xx Falasha
    Bite My Fashion ll Instagram ll Bloglovin' ll Join the Secret Guide

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love all the moments you'd captured! Have fun in your 20s ;)

    http://pixiethe90s.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Happy belated birthday! Definitely enjoy every moment of being in your 20's x

    Beauty with charm | Benefit Cheekathon Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love this! You've had an amazing year. I'm turning 23 at the end of this month and have loved the 20's so far!! Enjoy! :) x

    Micks | Michaela Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne