Decisions I Made I Don't Regret

7 September 2015

Organising everything
Since actually growing up and working full-time, I have totally and completely become a neat freak. Everything has to be in a specific order for my brain to function and it helps me work much faster and more efficiently. I'm not quite at an OCD level, but if something is out of place, I have to correct it immediately. This perfectionist attitude is something I used to view as a curse, now I see it as a blessing. I can think straight and any feelings of anxiousness are excluded when my mind is on track.
Cutting fake friends
I no longer talk to anyone I considered a friend in school. I'm not suggesting you cut out all your best friends, but as I look back, I'm so happy I didn't stay stuck in a group of girls who I didn't really trust or feel happy around. It took a lot of courage to drift away from something that felt familiar and venture out on my own, but I'm so much more confident now. Today, I have a group of friends who accept me for exactly who I am and build me up, rather than make me feel small. 
Revising
I did kind of enjoy studying, I'm weird like that. But one thing I'll never forget is how hard I worked in school. Sadly, I didn't have that attitude in the beginning, but as I grew, I realised it was time to pull my socks up. At the moment, I'm in a job that could sprout into a career for the rest of my life. But if I decide I don't want to do that any more, I luckily have my positive grades to fall back on. To anyone going through exams or entering a new year in education: work hard, education is a luxury and is worth the struggle. 
Blogging
For me, blogging meant really putting myself out there. I still never take selfies so taking pictures of myself with a professional camera can be a challenge. There are still people who don't know I have a blog, but it's not something I'm embarrassed about. I've learned a great deal since blogging and realised what I'm truly passionate about. Blogging has given me the time and motivation to understand what kind of person I'd like to grow into which I could never regret.
Changing my wardrobe
Since moving on into a new friendship group and new era of my life, I totally shook up my wardrobe. My attitude towards clothing hasn't changed, I still don't allow opinions to influence my dress choices, and I do wear things that make me feel good inside. There are some days where I feel like dressing as if I'm the new girl on the Upper East Side and others when I dress like a true Northern farm chic. But I have realised that abiding to social trends and choice isn't going to make me happy. 
Avoiding university
I was the only girl out of my friendship group at school to skip university. I still went through the UCAS process as teachers forced me to, and rather than complain non-stop, I did exactly what was asked for me. But before even getting to that stage, I knew I did not want to go. Still, I was pushed to apply and did so. I received four unconditional offers and one conditional offer, including offers from LCF and UAL. Everyone was ecstatic except me because it's not what I wanted. So I ignored interviews and skipped open days until the offers ran out in the summer. That decision is one I'll never regret because I'm very happy blogging from my bedroom and working everyday to learn more through experience rather than books. 

38 comments

  1. Hello from Spain: I really like your decisions. keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post :) I really like your writing style! I feel exactly the same about blogging :)

    http://www.fineclic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't agree with you more about cutting fake friends!

    lu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this post, Anika. Cutting out people that bring you down is always liberating, and it's great that you've surrounded yourself with people that make you feel good about yourself. I'm also the odd one who actually loves to study and, like you, it took me a while to build up that attitude, but came sixth form and I'm a train at full speed.

    I had no idea you didn't go to university, but the idea of working to gain experience sounds wonderful, though I do have to admit that I'm slightly different; I'm dying to get myself into university but I've been working to fund my education. I can't wait to go next year!

    Anyway, I hope you enjoy your week, Anika! I genuinely enjoyed your voice and personality in this post and I have visited several times, but I'm slightly confused as to why I have not followed you, yet. No worries, I've followed, now! <3

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to the cutting fake friends! I did this after uni and it was like a weight off! My life is more positive with the small number of great friends I have, rather than the large number of fake friends X

    http://www.leopardandspice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very important to go with a path you want and not others :) Great post, Anika.

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! cutting out negative relationships is definitely a good choice

    http://heyprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, I especially love the cutting fake friends bit ;-) Would love it if you could check out my Holiday Style Diary!
    Kisses xo | From Aliona With Love 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with all of these things, this is such a great post! Love this!

    Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got to say the cover in your photo looks so comfy haha!!
    I really loved reading this post, I agree with everything you said! It's refreshing that you don't regret certain things and take a positive approach to life, which is something I really need to do!
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved reading this! I was super organized when I was younger but now I'm so busy with work and life in general that it feels like I don't ever have time to keep up with it all! Wish I still did! :)

    She Likes to Shop

    ReplyDelete
  12. i wish to be that near ocd person again one day.. kids and all the things they come with really threw me and while in the beginning I would pick cleaning over sleep.. now i will choose sleep over cleaning any day of the week.. hopefully when they are both of too school i can return to my old organized ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great post! I can definitely relate to some of these. Cutting out so-called friends and exploring outside your comfort zone is one of the best decisions you can make.

    You have a great blog. Following you on Bloglovin'. :)

    http://www.beewritesx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, there are so many things on this list that I've gone through too. Like recently, I've definitely distanced myself from people that only hold me back. I was also really confused about the whole university process, and I ended up going and then leaving in the end. But I definitely stick by my decisions like you, and feel happy about it. Great, thought provoking blog post hun.

    - www.veebzboo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can relate to so many of these! I have to say my biggest is one has been blogging, I am SO thrilled I started my blog. It's brought so much joy!

    Bree || The Urban Umbrella

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish I knew how to say these when I was your age,or write this way when I was your age.
    Awesome.
    xoxo Bing.

    www.bingyourstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved reading this post, I'm glad you don't regret them. Sometimes uni is not our path and we are meant to do something diffferent. PS. Cutting out toxic people from your life is the best you can do. Good on you xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I completely agree with the one about revising! I also sort of wish I had stood my ground like you did with the university choice. I went because that's what everyone was doing and although I don't regret my time there at all, I spent three years studying and being driven crazy about topics I don't care about and will probably never use!
    I'm right with you the blogging too... It's early days and not many people know I do it yet but my confidence is growing and soon I know I'll shout it from the rooftops (I think)!

    CB x
    thecblife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes to cutting fake friends and being brutal on your wardrobe clear-out. I can sometimes be so indecisive that being strong headed sometimes really helps. Great tips! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great blog! I just started mine about gardening, phytotherapy and tea blends. Have a look if you like:

    http://cellestialgardens.blogspot.com/

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great post, there's so many things like this people stress about and lots of people hate change. It's nice to hear someone saying I'm glad I did this
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post, love that you paved your own way and found the things that work best for you!

    http://whatrajwants.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Personally I think that you took the right choices. I decided blogging and I don't regret it either, as you've said, it's something that is making me out of my comfort zone and is making me grow as a person, and I'm now concious that I really love it.
    Have a good day! xx

    selenaponcestyle.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cutting fake friends is so important! I had the reverse Uni experience, everyone advised me not to go because of the fees, but I still decided to go as I thought that it was the best decision for me :) x

    Floralchaos

    ReplyDelete
  25. it's great to look back and don't have regrets, my dear....
    keep on blogging, girl, you're doing a great job here
    kisses
    http://www.theitalianglam.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. sounds like you made some good decisions :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this post so much! I'm the same with blogging - I don't really put photos up of myself so that would definitely be a step forward for me! And cutting fake friends is such a refreshing thing to do!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was the same about Uni... I started, then took a break, and then went back and finished it. But it took me some time to decide exactly what I wanted to do about it instead of just being pushed into it (like so many people feel like they are) straight out of school!

    Megan || Oh Hey! blog

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have made the right choices.
    In life, we need to add ans subtract some things.

    For me, blogging gives a meaning on my life and it's one of the things i'm blessed of.
    I never had such big group of friends so since I was in college, i treasure and keep my true friends until today
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like this kind of post. Some of these are so relatable for me. It is so nice to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this post, so much positivity! Some decisions are hard, but the best ones we will ever make! <3
    WritingMonique

    ReplyDelete
  32. This was a great read. I love reading posts like this one, it always lets the reader get to know the person behind the blog a lot better :)

    Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  33. This has to be the best list of all time - the list to top all lists haha! I'm completely with you on cutting out 'fake friends', I also don't speak to anyone from my school days and I don't regret that decision one bit. Also, I agree blogging is a great way of finding out more about yourself, what a great point!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can relate to so many of these things. Thanks for sharing.

    ❤︎
    Mercedes Marie
    www.beyondherreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can relate to this post so much! In my second year of uni I cut ties with a girl who was supposed to be one of my best friends but she treated me awfully, so I had to cut out a whole group of people because of her - but I've not looked back because there's no point having unnecessary negativity in life. I always feel less anxious when I have things super organised and the same goes for revising, I really enjoyed having facts to learn with a load of colourful stationary - it made it a lot more fun :) x
    Charlotte's Road

    ReplyDelete
  36. i love Hi Anika, beautiful post, very inspiring I really love the blogging part, I feel the same way.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Glamoury Armory Blog

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne