It's Okay Not to Be Okay

9 January 2015 Eldwick, Bingley, Bingley, West Yorkshire BD16, UK

Everyone has bad days, unfortunately it's natural. When I was 17, I really started to struggle. Leaning to be okay with not feeling too hot was difficult at first, and I did feel selfish comparing my own problems with those halfway around the world.

My school tutor came up with the term 'down day' which was almost like our codeword, translating to me "don't talk to me, this day can't get any worse" and we would use it in lessons so I could tell her how I was feeling without having to reveal everything. Down days are less common now that I'm out of school, I have a job and finally feel comfortable with the direction I seem to be heading in. But sometimes, there are days were I am just not okay. Unfortunately, that's not a good enough reason to take a day off work or sit wrapped in a duvet all day but it's something we all have to learn to accept. The purpose of this post isn't to whine on about my problems but to reassure others that might be feeling the same way. It's okay not to be okay - and it's normal too.

Low moods come and go for everyone, and moments of complete anguish and sorrow shouldn't been seen as the end of the world, despite what the brain wants to believe. I don't always force myself out of a bad mood, it could make it worse; pretending to be happy and false smiles are painful. On down days, it;s always about the gentle pace of realising all is not lost, there's another day ahead. Do something that makes you happy, even if it's as small as going to a café for breakfast or sneaking away for a walk during lunch. If someone asks if you're alright, there's no reason why you can't say no. "I'm just not feeling today" is a perfect reason in my mind, there doesn't always have to be a set in stone excuse with evidence and experience, there's no rulebook that I'm aware of. It's important to remember, at least one person somewhere has experience that feeling, and they could be sat right next to you.

5 comments

  1. It's so strange that I'm having a real "down day" today and for no specific reason I can fathom and then I come across this lovely post, thank you Anika! And yes, it is okay not to be okay. And nobody should feel the need to question why! Yet people in my job seem to do just that, all the time... and its super annoying! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate down days. I'm having one right now-- woof.
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the same in school and I'm still not really sure why. Since going to uni its come back though and I think it's probably because I'm a home bird but people are a lot more understanding now that sometimes I just want to be left alone! Lovely post x
    Freya's Fashion Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, it's great that you are able to reassure everyone that a down day is perfectly fine :). I get quite a few of those myself, as I'm miserable at school, not because of the course just because I genuinely dislike college, often I feel like it's just not for me but I grit my teeth and think about getting a pass under my belt.

    Thanks for sharing! x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a great code word. I definitely have those days a lot because I have depression.



    check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne