Working Girl: Day One

19 January 2015 Eldwick, Bingley, Bingley, West Yorkshire BD16, UK

From being only a few feet tall, I have been desperate to grow up and live a mature world. Well, today I have changed my mine. Being an adult it's that great, it's actually pretty tiring. I had my first day of work today and felt pretty confident about it despite an entire night panicking about the impending first day.

The morning started out pretty smoothly, I managed to get a seat on the train despite having to endure an entire 20 minutes of a couple physically expressing their affection towards one another right in front of me. That would be the only downside to not getting a window seat; despite this, I still have headphones which instantly make any journey nauseating. After going through a tour of the building and getting to know a few team members, lunch approached quickly.
For some reason, my brain went into instant panic mode and I found myself already in tears as I exited the elevator. My first instinct is to ring my mum, a bitter-sweet option as it's the easiest way to feel less overwhelmed but also the easiest way to begin crying hysterically - luckily I didn't reach that point. The reason behind my lunchtime tears is still unknown, the work isn't too difficult and my colleagues are very nice.

By the end of the day, I was just excited to be on a train home; little did I know the day was about to get way worse. As I reached the train station, into my (brand new) Ivanka Trump tote to grab my (brand new) Karl Lagerfeld purse, I realised it was missing. Panic is an understatement. My immediate thought was Starbucks, where I went for lunch so I ran back as quick as one can in a pencil dress. Fortunately, my pink purse had been picked up by the waitress who served me and they happily handed it to me. Holding back tears was a struggle, words would barely form as I tried to thank the Starbucks staff.

Tomorrow is a new try and I'm going to try to put this below freezing, emotional rollercoaster day behind me. I imagined a full-time working life to be rewarding, but the day ends with me wrapped in fur blankets and Netflix till I drift off.

4 comments

  1. The working world is a rough one, that's for sure. When I started my first career-oriented job, I had to take the train for an hour & then walk a mile to get to my office -- I had to do that to & from work each day. Luckily you retrieved your purse.
    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working always seemed so glamorous when I was in school, real life is a little bit different though! Loved reading your blog, check out mine if you get a chance, I've just started but exciting things to come!!
    http://mind-of-joules.blogspot.co.uk/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work or no work, some days are just not meant to be. Hope you feel more comfortable now and just know things will only get better xx

    Rhea
    thegridldn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne