Blogger Breaks Are Neccessary

12 January 2016

There are a lot of bloggers who write whole blog posts on why they need a break. Explaining every reason why they need a pause from the social world or a few days or even weeks away from the big bright screen. Full-time bloggers depend on their blogs for income as well as a hobby, so when taking a break, they feel the need to totally and completely explain their motives.

Blogging is something I currently do as a hobby, on the side of my full-time job. When I'm working in the real world, I usually find myself daydreaming about the next time I'll have a break; and when it's too stressful, sometimes the best way to be productive is to take a break and step back. The same applies to blogging. I think all bloggers should have breaks every so often, as should never feel guilty for doing so, Bloggers are usually working while they're on holiday, so why not take some real time out, spending time at home with a total media blackout?

I usually find myself having to take breaks as a blogger because I work 35+ hours a week and this can be quite a strain and bring pressure. However, I know that health comes first, so sometimes taking a blogging break is necessary, it's essential. My blogger breaks usually mean no writing, social media-ing or following. If I come up with an idea while on this break I'l never hesitate to write it down;  but taking the occasional week out from typing until 2am feels so relaxing.

The thing I love most about taking a pause from the blogging world is the refreshing motivation I feel when I come back. At the moment, I'm on holiday from work which means I can spend plenty of my time pinning, reblogging and posting which makes me very happy. Although the pressure may return when I get back to work, I always know I can take a blogger break and that readers are always understanding.

Do you ever take a break from blogging?

18 comments

  1. I break a lot, for the most part, unapologetically. I'll typically explain where I was & what I was up to, but I stop myself from apologizing. (If I am apologizing it's typically because I promised a post I never delivered, or promised consistency & fell short). You're absolutely right, breaks are essential. I hold this belief that the majority of blogging is built on showcasing and discussing life, and sometimes you have to pause that and actually live life, you know? And we shouldn't apologize for that, even those who make all their income from blogging. In a traditional job you don't apologize for taking your leave (whether holiday leave, sick days, personal leave, etc.). Same rules apply all around.

    Great discussion, Anika. Enjoyed this!

    hellozauni.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with this post. Breaks are needed and we shouldn't have to always be appologizing. But we just have to make sure we are consistent when we can. I really wish I could be consistent. Well done you are doing great.

    www.maggiepegg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. For the longest time I thought I wouldn't be able to take a break from blogging as we're constantly told to always keep the blog up to date so we won't loose traffic or follower. But honestly where're the fun in doing what makes you stress out? So I think it is absolutely okay to take a break when you feel like you need it - when you come back your posts will definitely be better anyway :)

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree!!Taking breaks is important - blogging takes so much time if you have a day job finding the time to blog all the time is just not possible!

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breaks are really important! When I started blogging I created a blogging schedule and got pretty frustrated when I didn't manage to stick to it. I'm still trying to upload new posts twice a week, or sometimes 3 times a week, but I've accepted that there are times when I simply can't do it. Taking a break sometimes is essential and totally acceptable in my opinion, especially considering that blogging is a hobby and not a job (for most of us). x

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I think if it starts to feel too stressful and you were aiming to do it as a hobby, taking a step back will do wonders for your mind and the blog itself too! Stress takes the fun out of things and something takes away creativity too!

    xo, Alice | Alice + TYPENU

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree, breaks are needed. Sometimes it is just impossible to have a full time job and be able to blog too. I really struggle sometimes as I have a long commute to and from work too, so I don't have much spare time when I do actually get home from work on the evenings. This is why I do not post every day as my heart just wouldn't be in it

    Lauren x | www.laurenapowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally feel this! I am a full time worker and sometimes i just don't have time. I also have brought a house and funding that as well as my wardrobe is hard.


    CLAIRELOUISE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't agree more with you. Breaks are very much needed whether it be a break from blogging or simply the real world. It's always good to take some time out and recharge during that period.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sadly think I take too many breaks. I would go a few days without updating my instagram (no other SM account) and a couple of weeks from my blog, and come back as if I have to start from scratch again. Sigh. It is definitely good though, to just refresh oneself from it all, or else it just becomes mundane :\

    www.deasynoel.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you! ^^

    http://www.alovelystyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, I think it's healthy to take a break every once in a while and you're meant to relax and switch off. People will never begrudge you for taking some time out x Rebecca - itscohen.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just come back from a break myself, best thing I ever did, I actually started to despise blogging and I have now found a new love for it.

    Meme x

    http://www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that breaks are necessary. I tend to take breaks simply to avoid burnout. Great read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot stress this enough ! Very important..

    www.desireeswardrobe.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. So true! I've just had a 4 month break and feel so refreshed and ready to get back into blogging. :)

    Bridget x

    westcoasttstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne