I'm a Grown Woman

27 April 2015 Eldwick, Bingley, Bingley, West Yorkshire BD16, UK

Not only is today's post dedicated to a song I used to listen to on repeat, it's also a phrase I use as a response as much as possible. Mondays morning's are supposed to be pretty bleak, but I've received a small burst of motivation and I'm riding this until it collapses. Over the past few months I have been learning to understand reality. Accepting it is a whole other story, but I know 'adult' life is not like the picture school paints it to be. On New Year's Day, I got my first job; as the months have gone by, I have adjusted to the 9 to 5 lifestyle and finally spent time away from my computer stepping into the authenticity of today's world. At first, I hated working - sixth form made me lazy. Today, I still don't love it, but learning to channel my frustrated energy somewhere else has been very beneficial.

One thing I still struggle to understand is how everyone else is so 'okay' with being in a basic 9 to 5 job and doing the same thing every day, why not strive for more? Sure, having four digits in your savings account is a reason to smile, but what else does the simple routine offer? Thoughts like this are exactly what push and motivate me to seek more over the years I have left. The idea of being in the same positive 40 years from now is nothing short of depressing. I'm still wondering exactly what I want, but I know what I don't want.

I don't want to be in an office for the next 40-50 years.
I don't want my creativity or skills to be restricted. 
I don't want to be bored all day.
I don't want someone with a slightly higher paycheque to push me around.
I certainly don't want to work without a goal.

As we grow up, we begin to realise exactly what we don't want to do, in contrast to know exactly what we want to do. Throughout school, we're pushed to chose a career that will make us financially successful because that will mean you're automatically happy. Getting caught up in wondering what you want is how you forget what you don't want, you just settle. Don't put a lid on dreams and goals, let experiences in. 

18 comments

  1. Thanks for the Monday morning inspo! That photo is so satisfying haha my OCD is loving that! Thanks for sharing, hope you have a good weekend,

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, I think about these things all the time.

    check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    cityofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great inspo..thanks for sharing
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Just been checking out your blog!

    Just started a blog, feel free to check it out :)

    siamondeh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful post. i guess it's all about growing up and looking for a job you like that makes your time fly by - i'm still looking (:

    xx from Italy
    Cate ღ kate/idoscope | youtube

    ReplyDelete
  6. This picture is so well organised it's really satisfying for my OCD haha! Great blog!

    www.klaudia-clara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this

    Kirsty | www.kirsty.ws

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful post & that mouse pad is freaking amazing x

    Much Love | Trillu.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great post and so pleased you've seen through the scam at such a young age. Getting a financially secure job you hate and doing it for the next 50 years will definitely not lead to happiness! It takes time to figure things out, but most people don't even look outside of the standard career paths, so you're already ahead of the game! Oh and spoiler alert: The search for what you love doing IS the fun bit! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a good post, has really given me a lot to think about although i'm only 17
    www.norawears.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude I know exactly what you mean. Just hang in there and be curious about what the world has to offer you. You'll find something! It took me a few years but I'm finally moving in the direction of my dreams!

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post

    btw, that's an organised desk on Monday morning, how will it be on Friday? ;-)

    www.travelera.es

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being happy is one of the most easiest thing yet difficult. Lovely post sweets

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I also find the image strangely satisfying, haha x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great post. I also don't understand how everyone seems to be so cool with working 9-5 in an office forever... what is that?! I want nothing more than to be my own boss.

    Made In The 1990's.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne