What to Do When You Don't Get the Job (Part II)

17 February 2016


I recently had a job interview for a job I was desperate for, if you follow me on Twitter, you will more than likely have seen my full on meltdown after having an amazing interview but not hearing anything for a few days. It's really important for me to keep a positive mind-set because I'm notoriously negative and can usually find a bad thing in everything - eek. 

As I walked into the room with my embarrassing sheepish smile and portfolio in hand, I admitted that I'm a huge internet geek, love watching movies and can be unbelievably lazy. Fortunately, the interviews didn't see this as a bad thing, as the job was in an office where I wouldn't be moving around much and spending most of my time glued to the screen. After an amazing interview, where I gelled with the managers and potential colleagues, I left (or skipped) home to tell everyone how I basically had it in the bag. The interviewers had told me they would get back to me before the end of the week, and that Friday couldn't come fast enough. However, when it reached Monday morning the next week, I really started to worry and decided not to push the company, maybe they're still deciding. 

By Tuesday, the wait was just too much and friends recommend I just ring. I called the HR department and asked why no one had contacted you. 
"You were unsuccessful. I'm pretty sure I left you a message the other day."
Those words hit like a bullet, and I really didn't expect them to. You know when you get that thing, and it's like someone has just knocked the wind out of you? Yeah, I had that thing. Naturally, my reaction was to cry and behave like my life was over. But rather than do that, I remembered a post I had a few months back on What to Do When You Don't Get the Job. The company I dreamt of working for didn't even have to decency to ensure I knew the end result (I'm still slightly bitter about it).So instead of having a miniature meltdown, I watched The Devil Wears Prada and typed up this blog post. Here's part II. 

Don't freak out. 
Even if you start doing that weird breathing thing and carry on like your six hours into labour, find a way to calm down. I have a tendency to panic and find it very easy to imagine the worse-case scenario, and find the easiest escape route. Remember - it's not the end of the world, just the end of a chapter. 

View it as experience. 
I've only had a few job interviews in my life and it's always nerve racking. I will organise a day down to the minute just so I don't have to worry about anything going wrong. Having a few job interviews under your belt is a great way to gain experience and confidence when under pressure. I am way more confident in recent interviews in comparison to my first one. 

Don't give up. 
Just because it didn't happen this time, doesn't mean it won't happen next time. It's very easy to give up when something goes wrong, and thoughts such as "I guess I'm just not good enough" set in. Throw those thoughts away and keep striving for the best. Motivation comes and goes so it's really important to acknowledge when you're getting low and try to pick yourself up. 

Don't take it personally. 
I mean, unless they literally say IT'S YOU, it's probably not you. It's never just the personality the interviewers are judging, other aspects are involved and sometimes the fact s are what hurt most. I know most people aren't so ridiculously arrogant that they can accept that there could be a better, more suitable candidate, but it's harder to swallow when you're passionate about the position. 

My top tip after an interview would be to ask for feedback. This doesn't have to be the second they say "thank you", it could be when you receive the good or bad news. This is an easy way of getting tips for next time, and helps you to improve on your technique. 

Have you had any bad job interviews? What would be your top tips?

17 comments

  1. Thank you for this post. I've had this situation twice lately and it does get you down for a bit, but like you said I look at it like experience with interviews. xx

    Erin | beingerin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see that you got yourself together now. I saw your tweets on twitter when it all happened and then I got nervous for my future job interviews. But we need to focus on positive and there will be lots of other jobs and there are those out there who are looking exactly for you! So, keep your head held high, Anika, and get them! :)
    P.S. that was a horrible company anyways, not getting back in time and all...

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic tips. I'm going through the applying for job process again (unhappy with my current position) and I'm constantly being reminded of how hard it is. But you have a great view on it! I'm so sorry this job didn't work out. Something better must be on the horizon!

    Your Own Queen

    ReplyDelete
  4. the photos on your blog are stunning! And I loved reading this post too :) hope your having a lovely day x x

    millieerosee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So unfortunate that you didn't get the job as you sound like you are so super passionate about it! But we have to take knock backs to get to where we want to be in like and this was simply just a bump in the road for you. Something better will come around if you just keep working hard and getting better at your chosen craft! Good luck for the future - btw I love your blog! <3

    The Dazzle Guide

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww wishing you good luck in all your endeavors. Not getting a job you really wanted is a let down but I bet it means you will find something even better <3

    Enclothed Cognition/Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you take such gorgeous photos <3

    x, Kat of Nested Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really interesting post. It's so important to keep going when you've been let down, we've all always been tempted to give up. I also think asking for feedback is so important aswell, even if you might be feeling a bit bitter. Glad you were able to pick yourself back up even after you didn't get the job. :) We've all been there haha, I remember last year I didn't get an internship offer I had hoped for and literally felt like my life was crashing around me, then two days after I got another offer haha.

    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your experience, that must've been so gut wrenching! I've also experienced let down while job hunting, and it gets super depressing. But hindsight is 20/20; once I did land something those past interviews only served as positive learning experiences. Good luck!

    xo, Alice || a l i c e / T Y P E N U

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a super helpful post. I don't go to job interviews quuiitee yet as I'm 13, but I do go to a lot of auditions, and it can be really hard to face bad news. I also adore the pictures in this post x

    Edie | The Life of Edie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tips are very good! I know that such times are challenging but in the end with enough discipline they will pass over - with a good end.
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great advice! Love your letdown shots too.

    ❤︎
    Mercedes Marie
    www.beyondherreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post was just what I needed to read! I am currently waiting to hear back from a job and my positivity is decreasing by the second!! Thank you so much, this made my day!!

    Charlotte x

    http://shillysossage.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know exactly where you're coming from with this, going back a few years I had a series of knock-backs and I was surprised by how much it shocked me each time. If nothing else, the experience will make you far more resilient - and of course it's helped you produce this fab list for others to read after a negative job interview experience! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. All true! Great tips :-) and lovely blog, dear!
    xo.
    www.fromhatstoheels.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really helpful post, thanks for sharing! I really like your blog, let me know if you would like to follow each other!

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne